Thursday, September 10, 2009

Obama's Speech To Children

There has been tons of controversy over the idea of Obama speaking to children about their schooling. Many people thought that it would be a bad idea. When I heard about this, I didn't think that this speech could possibly be as bad as these negative thinkers were making it out to be. When my professor allowed us to watch this speech I loved what the president had to say and the way he was encouraging the students to stay in school. He tells the children that "everyone has something their good at" and "the future of America depends on you". He even stressed that the government is trying their hardest to give the students a great learning environment, which struck a cord with me, thinking that the government has a lot to do with the way our learning occurs. Obama stress's the need for an education to get good jobs in the future and gives example of school and real life such as "you could create the newest cancer vaccine but you won't know until you do your science homework". It rubbed me the wrong way when Obama said "You quit on your school you quit on your country", I could not tell you why that statement rubbed me the wrong way, but it did. He also said things along the line no one has written your own destiny, which is a big belief of mine. He also added that not every piece of homework is relevant but its needed to succeed which is something I struggled with when I was in school. He also said that you can't let your failures define you, and that if you fail, try try again, which is very good encouragement. He also said that America was built on people that worked hard, which was something that I needed to hear. One thing that he said that I didn't like was the fact that he mentioned kids look at football players and reality television stars and thinking that they won't have to go to school, he then added that you will probably never achieve such things, which I did not like considering the fact that he is telling the students they won't achieve something, and I did not like him saying that. All in all, there were more things in his speech that I liked than disliked, and I thought it was a very good, encouraging speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment