Tuesday, September 1, 2009

America's obsession with negativity.

Today in speech class, we had to present a speech on a momentous event in history that occured on the date of our birthday. I was not so amazed with the fact that most of the speeches had to do with a depressing and or negative event in history. For example, when searching for my topic for the speech, The great fire of London, I googled the date and saw several differant things that occured on my birth date, but the one event that caught my eye was a mass fire that spread across London in three days. Other speeches throughout class today followed suit. We had several speeches about earthquakes, and other such depressing things. I believe that our class had so many depressing events presented because America is obsessed with negative activity, as long as it does'nt occuer to them. I believe this is because American's are naturally curious beings, and a headline for a negative event will catch a persons attention much faster than a headline of something pleasant happening. I also believe that for some strange, almost sick reason, American's find the tragedy of others an incredibly interesting subject. I believe that America's obsession with negativity is sick, but as I stated before, only natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment